The long-pending issue surrounding occupation of land linked to the expansion and upgradation of Dimapur Railway Station may move towards resolution if compensation for affected landowners is settled at the earliest, according to the Railway Affected Landowners Association (RALOA).
Speaking in an exclusive interaction on Tuesday, RALOA representatives said the recent meeting between the association and Ashwini Vaishnaw in New Delhi had given fresh hope regarding the compensation process.
RALOA chief adviser S. Hukavi Zhimomi said landowners were willing to cooperate fully once their rights and compensation concerns were properly addressed.
He said the delegation’s recent meeting with the Union Railway Minister was the third such discussion held to push for an early settlement after the matter was forwarded by the state government. According to Zhimomi, the minister directed concerned departments to take up the issue on priority.
Zhimomi informed the minister that the proposed railway expansion stretch covers nearly seven kilometres and may affect around 30 to 40 structures in the area. He said the minister assured the delegation that the department would act quickly on the matter.
He further stated that the proposed double-lane railway expansion and railway station upgradation projects were now being considered together, making the issue more urgent for the Centre.
Calling the development significant, Zhimomi said the Centre was actively working towards resolving the long-standing dispute connected to railway expansion in Dimapur.
He said the Railway Minister held detailed discussions with the delegation and instructed railway officials to address the matter urgently.
Rejecting speculation that the railway project could be shifted elsewhere, Zhimomi said a work order worth around Rs 280 crore had already been issued and construction work had been continuing for the past six to seven months. He added that bills related to the project were currently under processing.
Referring to Article 371A of the Constitution, Zhimomi said land and its resources in Nagaland belong to the people and any acquisition process must follow legal procedures. He maintained that development projects should not override the land rights of citizens and said responsibility for compensation lies with the railway department.
According to him, landowners are prepared to hand over the land once proper compensation is paid. He also said pending legal cases linked to the issue would then be withdrawn to allow the project to proceed smoothly.
At the same time, he warned that surrendering land without compensation could create a negative precedent for future generations in the state.
Zhimomi said RALOA had already finalised categorised compensation rates for commercial, urban and village areas after consultations with landowners, although details were not disclosed as the matter remains under government consideration. He added that the association was willing to remain flexible and was not insisting on maximum compensation rates.
