A political crisis within the Dimapur Municipal Council (DMC) was resolved after intervention by senior leaders of the Naga People’s Front, leading to the cancellation of a proposed trust vote scheduled for May 22.The dispute had intensified after 12 councillors — including six from the NPF and six from the Bharatiya Janata Party — moved a no-confidence motion against DMC chairperson Hukheto Yepthomi. The move was reportedly led by deputy chairperson Imlinaro S Ezung. The DMC currently has 11 NPF councillors.Following a series of meetings and consultations, the chairperson and deputy chairperson issued a joint statement announcing that all differences and misunderstandings had been resolved in the interest of party unity and public service.In the statement, Hukheto Yepthomi and Imlinaro S Ezung, speaking on behalf of the elected NPF councillors of the DMC, said they had taken an unconditional decision to reconcile after the intervention of the party leadership.
They expressed appreciation to the party leadership headed by Neiphiu Rio for guiding them towards reconciliation and unity.“We have accepted the guidance for unity, reconciliation and oneness,” the statement said, adding that all councillors remained committed to serving the people of Dimapur city and respecting the mandate given to them.The councillors also said they would work together to ensure good governance, accountability and transparency in the functioning of the municipal council. mWith the matter settled internally, the councillors announced that there was no longer any need for the trust vote planned for May 22 and informed the concerned authorities to cancel the process.
The leaders further appealed to citizens and stakeholders to support the development of Dimapur city.The two DMC leaders also met Nagaland Urban Development and Municipal Affairs advisor Zhaleo Rio on Wednesday. A senior NPF leader later confirmed that the issue had been resolved amicably after consultations with all concerned members.
